October 10, 2009

Announcing The Boris Karloff Blogathon!


CLICK HERE FOR THE COMPLETE BORIS KARLOFF BLOGATHON ARCHIVE.


Karloff portrait by Jack Freulich. Source: Heritage Auctions.

I am calling on my fellow bloggers to join me in a celebration of Mr. Boris Karloff.

Beginning on November 23 — Karloff’s 122nd birthday — and on through the 29th, bloggers far and wide are invited to post something about Boris, his life and his wide-ranging career.

There is much to explore… His film work spanned five decades. He clocked some 75 films through the silent era before he landed and nailed the iconic part of The Monster in Frankenstein, a film that is almost 80 years old and still seen and admired. The sequel, The Bride of Frankenstein, is a motion picture classic. In his path through the history of horror films, Karloff collaborated with James Whale, Val Lewton, Mario Bava and Roger Corman. He proved equally at ease in all genres, including comedies.

Away from films, Boris Karloff became a Broadway star with Arsenic and Old Lace, The Lark and he was Captain Hook in Peter Pan.

He enjoyed a successful radio career and he was one of the first Hollywood actors to embrace television, appearing in live drama, in his own series — notably Colonel March of Scotland Yard and Thriller — and as a frequent and popular guest on talk and variety shows. He was the model and the Grammy Award-winning voice of The Grinch. He made numerous spoken word records, reading fairy tales to children and, in print, he lent his name to horror and mystery anthologies and a line of comic books.

In real life, Boris Karloff was a gentleman, a cricket fan and a brave founding member of the Screen Actor's Guild.

It’s been forty years since Boris Karloff passed away, yet his star shines as bright as ever. This November 23, bloggers will come together and share film reviews, profiles, images, thoughts and remembrances and, I am sure, surprises. I, as a reader, am looking forward to it.

38 comments:

Wings1295 said...

Sent you an email - I'm game!

ShadowBeads said...

Will be there--might not post much but will definitely lurk.

Widgett Walls said...

Oh yeah. Yeah, we wanna party with you guys.

Mandra said...

It´s Fantastic! Play begins...

Ormsby said...

Sent you an email, I love this idea. What a tribute to Boris.

DrippedJake said...

I'm in...I already put the banner up and everything!

suzanne said...

Wonderful idea. I'm in :)

Holger Haase said...

Love the idea. Count me in and please send me a reminder just to be on the safe side. :-)

Dave Rattigan said...

I'm in!

James Gracey said...

This sounds good. I'm in!

Anonymous said...

Brilliant idea!

Robert Ring said...

I'm definitely in. Will probably post a movie review. http://scifiblock.com

Uncle Gustav said...

Pierre, this promises to be a thriller!

Given my erratic behavior, I can't promise my participation, but I have placed one of your way-kewl banner ads on my blog.

I hope to join the (mad monster?) party.

Unknown said...

Oh--can't wait. Might talk about Karloff's involvement with the Screen Actor's Guild...

Mike Segretto (Psychobabble) said...

Love Karloff... love the idea. Count Psychobabble in:

http://www.mikesegretto.com/index.php?/psychobabble/index/

-Mike from Psychobabble

Paxton said...

After two months of preparation and execution of my Frankenstein themed Halloween countdown, I think I can come up with something to say about Karloff that week. Count me in. Sounds awesome.

Paxton from
Cavalcade of Awesome

TS Rogers said...

Would you accept an illustration?

Pierre Fournier said...

TS: Of course! Wonderful idea. Your blog can be part of the Blogathon, simple as that!

Will Errickson said...

Sounds good! Looking forward to everyone else's entries as well.

http://panicon4july.blogspot.com/

Pete Regan said...

This sounds like it's going to be an awesome event. Count me in.

http://ghostlygames.blogspot.com/

Pierre Fournier said...

Thanks, everyone. Looks like the Karloff Blogathon will be HUGE. Already over 30 blogs signed up!

PLEASE NOTE: Those of you who haven't, please EMAIL ME (link is in the post) to confirm your participation, and I'll add your blog URL to the Scheduled Participants list on my sidebar.

Thanks!

senski said...

Would love to be a part -- too many ideas to choose from! It's a marvelous tribute...

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to do the Monster Mash, Pierre. I'll e-mail shortly.

Patty Benedict said...

I'm in!! I just sent you a email! Boris Karloff is my all time favorite classic horror actor!
Bugs & Hisses
Patty

Unknown said...

great idea!

Jacqueline T. Lynch said...

Me, too, please. Just sent my email. Blogathon...good.

Erich Kuersten said...

Count me in, on Acidemic

Reanimated Rags said...

Wouldn't miss it!

J said...

I'll post something on Karloff in....The Black Cat , if you want it.

Draven said...

Great idea! Count me in.

Paul Castiglia said...

Boris Karloff... master of comedy! Or at the very least, master co-star of comedians. I'll survey his classic horror-comedies over on my Scared Silly blog (http.scaredsillybypaulcastiglia.blogspot.com) - looking forward to it!

Rhonny Reaper said...

sending you an email now! Im so in this :)

Caftan Woman said...

I'm definitely on board! (Having trouble with e-mail though. I'm at misspaddylee@yahoo.ca)

cube said...

Love the idea of honoring Karloff. Count me in.

Pierre Fournier said...

Would love to have you aboard, Cube. Please email me so I can add you to the list of participants. Thanks!

Aaron Polson said...

Karolff rules! I'm there. (email sent)

The Bloody Pit of Horror said...

Sounds like a great idea. I sent an email too.

PG Slot said...

เกม UFA Wallet 777 เป็นเครื่องบินในกลุ่มของสายการบินไทยแอร์เอเชีย (Thai Airways International) PG SLOT งเป็นเครื่องบินโดยสารขนาดใหญ่ที่มีความจุสูงสุดถึง 364 ที่นั่ง มีระยะทางบินได้ถึง